If you are a veteran John Deere lawn mower user, you know that usually most of them are gasoline powered and are intended to be used for residential mowing. The lawn tractors are those lawn mowers which are either used for residential or commercial purposes.
In a hurry? Here’s our top Oil for John Deere Lawn Tractor pick!
Briggs & Stratton 30W Engine Oil
It is a super-popular Oil for John Deere Lawn Tractor which is easy to use and has amazing results. Find out why on Amazon right now!
These units will either require gasoline or diesel to give them power to run. Usually, a John Deere manual will be able to properly guide you regarding the kind of oil that you need to use. However, do read ahead to get an idea of the oils that are generally used.
Ideally, 10W-30 oil should be used in a John Deere gasoline powered lawn tractor engine. This sort of oils is especially useful if you are living in areas where the temperature has the tendency to drop down to negative 4 degrees.
It is as this time the 10W-30 oil will prove to be viscous and work despite the low temperature. In areas where the temperature does not plummet below zero you can use the 15W-40 oil.
This kind of oil will ensure that the engine of your lawn tractor works well despite the temperature and it will also stop it from deteriorating really fast. Make sure that you do not use it in an area where the temperature drops below 5 degrees.
Otherwise the viscosity of this oil will refuse to adhere and it will be just a waste of precious money. People who live in colder climates will benefit more from 5W-30 oil. This is the kind of oil that works really during weathers which go down to negative 22 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
The company, John Deere, will recommend that the consumers use the brand’s own engine oils. John Deere explains that their oils are much superior because they have additives in them along with performance enhancers. These elements will help you prevent corrosion that might form on the lawn tractor. Other than these elements, the oil will keep the engine parts running cleaner and smoother.
However, you don’t have to necessarily use John Deere’s own line of engine oils. You can also use other brand oils if they bring you better benefits. Just make sure that they prevent sludging, resist foaming, and also are able to perform within the indicated temperatures. Not only that the oils will have to make sure to reduce corrosion. However, the tasks of the oil do not end there. They need to have cooling agents to prevent the engine from overheating, and at the same time remain lubricated.
It is important to choose the oil that you use for your machine very carefully. The temperature of your resident city should be considered when choosing the type of oil to use.
How To Properly Maintain Your John Deere Lawn Tractor
- Clean off the deck – You can do this by removing the belt guards and then proceeding to clean off any debris or dirt that is on the deck. This will ensure you get the most out of your cutting session.
- Change spark plugs – Frequently changing the spark plugs gives your mower better fuel economy. It is very inexpensive as well.
- Replace the fuel filter – Not replacing the fuel filter may cause the carburetor to have to be rebuilt. Make sure to wear some gloves and to prevent getting fuel all over you, pinch the fuel line before removing the filter.
- Replace the oil filter – Read the owners manual to see how to replace your oil filter but usually you would screw on the new filter and be sure to spread some oil over the gasket to prevent binding.
- Change your blades – You can do this by first loosening the bolts and then replacing the blades but make sure the blades are in a “U” pattern.